On Saturday 8 June more than 30 RSYS sailors and four Member coaches travelled to George’s River Sailing Club for the East Coast Championship, regularly held at this venue over the June long weekend. Our sailors competed in the Optimist Green, Intermediate and Open Fleets, Laser 4.7 and Radial, 420, Techno and RSX classes. In contrast to the winds experienced earlier in the week, the weekend breeze was very flat, with nothing over eight knots, generally less, until late Monday when it was just too late, and sailors struggled with tides and currents that sometimes beat the wind!
In the Optis our nine sailors struggled with the light conditions:
• Amongst our three Open fleet sailors, Spencer McKay made the best of it with a top placed 8th and an overall 21st in a fleet of 33
• In the Intermediate fleet, pictured above, Harriet McLachlan continued to improve with an overall 2nd place and top finishing girl in a smaller fleet of 15. She was joined by Sterling McKay and TJ Ly who had great debuts in this fleet
• In the Green fleet, Raphael McLachlan lead the group and gained great regatta experience alongside his brother Patrick and Flynn Winton.
RSYS Opti Green Fleet kids
In the Lasers our sailors were dominant:
• In the 4.7 fleet, RSYS made up seven of the top 10 finishers, including 1st - Evie Saunders, 2nd - Ian Louis and 3rd - Charles Smith. Congratulations to Evie for her win based on high class consistent sailing throughout. Isabel Payne had a great debut in her first 4.7 regatta, and with age on her side, will no doubt improve and lead this fleet in the future
• In the Radials our sailors filled 8 of the top 10 places. After a terrific battle at the top of the fleet, Mark Louis secured a win and Otto Henry 3rd.
Brothers Mark and Ian Louis, Evie Saunders
Our Laser Squad
Our 420 sailors Ryan Littlechild and Jack Ferguson were again very successful and lead their small fleet home, winning five of eight races in consistent and outstanding performances. Gretel Payne and her skipper Natasha came a commendable 4th.
In the Boards division, Vaughan O’Shea finished 5th in his first RSX regatta and Paul Davison finished 4th in the Bic Techno.
Coaches Charlotte Alexander, Jack Littlechild & Marlena Berzins
We acknowledge and thank our terrific coaches for the weekend - all RSYS Members - Marlena Berzins and Jack Littlechild in the Laser fleets and Charlotte Griffen and Charlotte Alexander in the Optis. They gave a great deal of their time to be present on the water and on land all weekend. Thanks also to our terrific Sailing Office for all their hard work and support: Locky, Zach and Declan, and the RSYS Sailing Committee.
By Richard & Xavier McLachlan.
Find out about RSYS Sailing subscribe to our Sailing newsletter