Combined Clubs Race 7 report

The fleet experienced light wind and rain for Race 7 of the Combined Clubs Winter Series on Saturday 25 July.

Julian Farren-Price writes, 'The forecast was for light winds, 30% chance of rain and possible thunderstorms. I took that as 70% chance of no rain so out we went for some fun.
 
'As Seabreeze predicted, winds were near non-existent at 12.30pm. The westerly died right about then and the race committee rightly postponed the start. Around 1pm a light 8 knot easterly came in and the committee set a course for a north easterly breeze figuring the breeze would shift left. We started around 1.25pm.
 
'As it happened, the breeze maintained an easterly direction and all legs of the course ended up a beam reach, mostly too tight for spinnakers although some tried at times. Around 2.30pm some rain came, not extreme but it killed the little wind that we had.
 
'On a rare occasion it can pay to be the fastest boat in the fleet. Mostly wind builds as the day goes on and the faster boats watch the back markers storm home. Saturday was the exception. About Time managed to get the last of the breeze with a spinnaker run from Shark Island to the finish off Clark Island then saw the rest of the fleet becalmed in Rose Bay. Such a shame... We managed a handicap win by 13 minutes from Ian MacDiarmid’s Hell Razer with Tony Coleman’s Euphoria 3rd. Interestingly, only four boats of the 15 strong Division 1 fleet managed to finish within the 4.30pm time limit due to the calm out.
 
'We have done little racing since February and it was so nice to get out with the crew for a run, especially on such a calm and uncrowded harbour. We will be back next week weather permitting'.   

View the full results here